Monday, February 26, 2018

The inevitability of change

Who am I kidding? Do I want to leave home at 7:30 every morning to navigate my way to the other end of the city for a full time office gig? Boy, am I spoiled. I have become so used to waking up without an alarm, cleaning up the kitchen and washing last night's dishes like a morning meditation, making my coffee, and then sitting down at the computer with a sense of purpose and even excitement for the work ahead. Some days, I don't get out of sleep clothes till the early afternoon.

On the other hand, I felt so bright and light in that place. The woman who interviewed me was a ball of joy. We shall see.

I got comments back from my editor on the manuscript I turned in in January. The subject matter is gun violence, so I need to add some narrative about those piercingly brilliant teenagers in Parkland. These kids with their broken hearts and burning eyes want the Valentine's Day's massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High to be the last school shooting in this country. They want background check laws strengthened and automatic weapons banned. They want to end the whole sorry charade in Congress come the midterm elections in November. They want teenagers not to be able to buy guns and American corporations to stop doing business with the NRA. I love that they have hope enough to draw these lines in the sand—and believe in the inevitability of change. They are fierce and uncompromising, angry and ignited. God, we need their fervor now.










8 comments:

  1. Ah, I like your awakening about jobs and commutes and time constraints and freedom.
    The anti-gun movement is the most heartening expression for change that I've seen in a long time. It is a movement that can bring so many people together. We plan to march and be firmly on the side of the fierce and uncompromising, angry and ignited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post regarding the energy of change. Such a powerful image of Emma Gonzalez and her words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The message those teens are sending is so clear, so uncompromising, it cuts right through the government's and the NRA's crap. I'm hoping with every fibre of me that they have the strength to keep going where the nation needs them to go, and that they get the support they need to have that strength. I think they will.

    And I know that feeling about 9-5 work. But we can change. It is possible. Not easy, but possible. I would not want to be making a similar choice right now; I'm not sure what I would do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Lots of big possibilities for you! It makes sense to be a bit ambivalent about another full-time gig, so I can understand why you have a lot to think about. Still -- exciting and enviable problems!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post...Choose what will make you happiest. Life is short.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I took early retirement almost a year ago and can really relate to your ambivalence about full time work again. Like e said, chose what will make you happy.
    Emma Gonzalez has given me a reason to be a proud Floridian again. I think these kids will be unstoppable!
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no idea what you should do on the job front but I know you will make a good choice. And oh, my yes! How we DO need these teens and their passion! I love them with all of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that young woman Emma Gonzalez. She calls bullshit when she sees it.

    ReplyDelete