Sunday, December 10, 2017

Inclement weather


It snowed in the city yesterday, the flakes swirling gently to earth until well into the night. It snowed exactly like this the day after my mother died. 

My son and his girlfriend slept over here on Friday night, and they stayed with us all yesterday, cozy inside, looking out at the snowfall. I was loath to leave them, but our first choir concert of the season was happening way out in Forest Hills, Queens, at the Library for the Blind. It feels far away for spoiled Manhattanites, but two of my choir friends and I shared a car there, and split the cost, so the trek through inclement weather was made easy. Despite the snow, everyone showed up. It's always a great crowd there, including a lot of quite elderly people who are happy to have a reason to leave their homes. We wondered if they'd make it there over slippery sidewalks, but they did. We were rewarded by the usual faces, smiling at us as we sang. 

When I got back home the kids were still here, and my daughter's boyfriend also came over to use the printer, and to pick up a Christmas gift for our daughter that he'd asked to have shipped to our house. My daughter was out somewhere in the city with her cousin, while back at our house the rest of us chatted and laughed as we do, and enjoyed just being together. Eventually my son and his girlfriend left to go back to Astoria, and my daughter's boyfriend left to go and take care of the dog he and my daughter are dog sitting, and my husband put on his big ski jacket and headed to the store to pick up dinner for us. I didn't go with him. The icy, slushy ground is always a challenge for me to navigate, since one leg doesn't swivel or support as it's meant to do. I love the snow, but can't really revel in it the way I used to.

As for today, I have nothing really to report. I feel as dull and wavery as smoke this Sunday morning. 



12 comments:

  1. Sundays. And so much more. Spirits raise and spirits sink and spirits are quiet and spirits scream.
    You are loved and you are beloved. May the skies clear in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You feel dull but this post was good and nice. Just everyday living.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've created a lovely picture, though. These are the things that I, too, am familiar with, even though our locations are as different as night and day. Your writing is such a joy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely Christmasie post. Manhattan in the snow always feels so romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful picture.

    And oh how I wish your daughter and her boyfriend were available to take care of my dog. She's a hooligan this one, but I know your daughter's sense of humor and joy would make them fast friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, what beautiful winter pictures, photographed and described.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this description of your day. Your words paint a beautiful scene: Family love and snow. We're having crazy warm weather here on the California north coast. No rain, no wind just sunshine and temps in the 70s.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you got to your concert. Sometimes it's worth it to pay for a car!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful to go somewhere and sing for an audience! And your picture is so splendid, I could almost like the cold winter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! The snow looks magical, as an ex New Yorker in Florida, it brings some happy memories back. Thanks!
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete