Sunday, December 3, 2017

Oh, Christmas tree


I've been working so continuously to meet my book deadline, that today, after Fedexing the manuscript to my subject last night, I have no idea what to do with myself. I have another assignment, but it's Sunday, and I've worked weekends for months, so today, I just want to vegetate. But I'm bored. I'm restless. I'm tired. I don't have a clue how to occupy myself. This is one of the realities of my empty nest. Don't get me wrong: The man and I are discovering some excellent aspects of having the house all to ourselves again, but on a day like today, I miss those baby birds.

My husband is watching football, as he usually does on a Sunday. In the past, I would have been engaged somehow with one of my children, perhaps facilitating their social activities. But they live on their own now. Their social media feeds this weekend are filled with pictures of them and their sweethearts bringing home Christmas trees, decorating Christmas trees, showing off their twinkly, glittery finished Christmas trees. It reminds me of when my husband and I were their age, getting and decorating our own tree, doing the first Christmas together. Now it's their turn, my son, my daughter, and my niece. They all moved in with their loves this year. In the photos they are laughing with their housemates. They look happy.

I told my husband that now that it's just us again, we need to do what they are doing, what we used to do before those babies were a glint in our eyes. And so later today, or maybe tomorrow, he and I will walk hand in hand to pick out a tree and bring it home. We'll sip egg nog or mulled wine while we decorate it. We'll put on Christmas music. Revel in the romance of being together. That's a picture of my lovely man from the first holiday season after we were married. Our first Christmas tree after setting up house together. Ah, hormones.

10 comments:

  1. Damn but I miss those hormones!!!!!
    If we could only turn them on occasionally...
    For special occasions, of course.
    But older romance is sweet, sweet, sweet. Have fun today. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your husband has a wonderful smile. Enjoy your Christmas tree trimming. I'm in the middle of Christmas baking while the big guy watches football.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy it, it will get better every year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so bittersweet. My son just moved out again and it’s very quiet downstairs. Right now I am past the empty nest but still stunned at how fast it all went. They were just babies 18 hours ago. Oh, it does hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a handsome husband you have! And he is lucky to have you! What an exciting time in your children’s lives. Aren’t you so happy and proud that they are so happy and can love?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your trimming time...then you can all tell stories and swap photos later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are smart to return to the pre-children traditions. They will keep you young! I know what you mean about feeling lost at times without kids around. I have to remind myself that overall I am much less stressed with fewer people in the household, and it gives me time for my own interests, something I longed for while they were at home.

    Enjoy your tree trimming, and all the other activities you re-discover :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. New rhythms and songs blossom from these times of new routines. And underlying it all is timeless and endless love. I know you will enjoy this new journey with your beautiful husband.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet you'll be listening to some Christmas music too - I love that stuff. Perhaps a slow dance? After all, there will be spirits involved (of the sipping kind) who knows what could happen.

    You made/make such a gorgeous couple!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Life seems to go full circle. I choose, to make the best of it. Still decorating to the hilt, for me, my enjoyment and those stopping by to toast the season. I love all the festivities! Susan

    ReplyDelete