Monday, November 27, 2017

Thanksgiving week















Cousins, nieces, nephews, friends all crowded into our three bedroom apartment, along with our son and daughter, for a weekend of non-stop communion, stories and laughter. My husband was happy. I did not spin anxiously. It was all so good.

And now, the hoards are scattering again. One niece went back to college yesterday. My cousin and her other daughter head back to Orlando tonight. One nephew took the bus home to Virginia yesterday while the other, the guitar player, is on his way to Israel tonight for study abroad. His mom is on her way to the airport with him at this moment, and she will travel back to Virginia tonight. Our last house guest, my cousin who lives in Trinidad, leaves in the morning. My son, my daughter, my niece, and their respective loves, are back at work today, prosaic routine reasserting itself.

We took just one, blurry family picture, but there we are, all together and healthy. I feel lucky and blessed.

26 comments:

  1. Oh, Mama! What goodness and light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your family is stunning ~ love leaps from the photographs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lulumarie, there was so much love all mixed up with gratitude. xo

      Delete
  3. You give me faith in family and hope for humanity. I love seeing your tribe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Family is so precious! Looks like your clan had a fabulous Thanksgiving. Everyone marching toward Christmas. Good times! Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, always nice to see you here. It was a good time.

      Delete
  5. You ARE lucky and blessed! I love this stream of photos -- it unspools in radiance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, unspools radiance--you have such a wonderful way with words. thank you. xo

      Delete
  6. You are truly blessed. My family is spread out all over the place. We never get together which is sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lily, i think it's why my kids love thanksgiving more than all other holidays, because we are somewhat spread out too, but have somehow created a tradition where people travel to be together, in a cramped apartment, for that whole long weekend. the falling over one another is part of the joy.

      Delete
  7. Your photos show me the very essence of Thanksgiving. Such a beautiful and loving family gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Elizabeth's description of unspooling radiance! I am always struck by the easy affection and joy in each other's presence. What excellent genes in your family! Each of you are beautiful and shining light.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, i love Elizabeth's description, too. And thanks for the kind way of seeing us! xo

      Delete
  9. You are indeed blessed! And lucky I guess too but you worked your life to make this happen thru your love and kindness. Your family is beautiful, you are beautiful. And when I say you I mean your husband too. Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. It made me smile to see all these beautiful and smiling faces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra, it made me smile too. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete