Sunday, December 18, 2016

Overcast

My house is filled with young people on this gray Sunday. They are sprawled all over the living room watching Giants football, looking somewhat hung over. My daughter is away for the weekend, baking Christmas cookies with her boyfriend's family, but my son has a college friend from Prague who overnighted with us, and my son's girlfriend is also here, and there is also another family friend, a lovely young man who is stranded in the city till he flies back to Chicago tonight. His aunt called at 7 a.m. this morning and asked if he could hang with us for the day. I have fed them pizza and now I have decided to leave the young people to their own devices rather than take on the responsibility of entertaining them, or at least entertaining the nephew of my dear friend, the woman who introduced me to my husband. 

I feel as gray at this day. Every time I read anything at all about Trump, or Aleppo, or Russian hacks, or really any news at all, I have to fight the feeling of being sorely overmatched. I keep trying to make sense of it all, but then I hear Obama speak in such unreasonably reasonable tones, and I realize how profound are the gaps in what is publicly known. I am convinced that if we knew the whole, or even the half, we might crumble into dust. I'm speaking figuratively but maybe also literally. Oh hell, I have nothing vaguely coherent to say on the subject, so let me just leave you with this.


6 comments:

  1. I was so busy agreeing with the majority of reviewers for those boots that I forgot to cry, and as for the electors, they will make history by either setting this country on a dystopian path or reversing disaster, though frankly, I don't expect them to do the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful skit. Absolutely heartrending and sweet and funny.
    And true.
    The reviews on those boots are priceless. They've been up for several days so maybe they won't come down. Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share all of your feelings. It's just incomprehensible to me that he won, and what will happen next. Loved the boot reviews and the SNL skit, she does a really good Hillary. I miss Hillary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you are feeling so gray. It's not a nice place to be.

    The video isn't available (maybe only good in the US?) but the reviews on the boots are entertaining.

    I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness! You made me laugh!!! I forget what this post is about now. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. A letter from our POTUS just came for me! Unfortunately it will be the last. But it fosters Hope. Mr. Obama leaves American with the gift of Hope and a job well done. He lifts me up.

    ReplyDelete