Monday, April 20, 2015

Elizabeth and Oliver

Elizabeth and Oliver teamed up for a powerfully moving presentation to a classroom of fifth graders about the inherent rights and dignity of the disabled. Sharing stories from their lives with their beloved Sophie, mother and son together created a powerful service project that opens not just eyes, but hearts too. We need it desperately. I hope they will take this show on the road.

The photo of Elizabeth and her youngest is from her blog, A Moon Worn as if it Were a Shell, "where poetry, politics, disability and parenting intersect."

If you read nothing else today, go there and read this.


6 comments:

  1. I agree with you. And Elizabeth and her children keep teaching me.
    The beauty and light in that family...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Angella! That photo is so old -- or not that old, but Oliver and I look so YOUNG! That brought a smile to my face -- it was the day that I won this Shakespeare trivia contest, and I felt so proud of myself! I so appreciate you sharing our education post. What an honor it was to talk to those children and field their questions. I'm still a little high from it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, I think you and Oliver will change the world by talking to children. Goosebumps.

      Delete
  3. How funny that I'm seeing it here first! Going over to Elizabeth's blog now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, it's really worth reading. Thanks, friend.

      Delete