Tuesday, November 18, 2014

#MyBigBro

My 13-year-old niece ran down the hall laughing and yelling for me to come quickly. Her dad, newly on Instagram, had just asked what a hashtag was.

For those of you in my brother's camp, a hashtag in front of a word or phrase on a social media site (such as Instagam, Facebook, Twitter, etc.) means you can click on that word or phrase and bring up all entries with the same hashtag. So if you tag something #JamaicaVacay for example, you can click or tap on that and bring up every photo, comment, tweet or status update by everyone who ever used that same tag. And no spaces between words when adding hashtags. We had to explain that part to my brother, too, but I have to say he was quite good natured about his children's gleeful ribbing.







6 comments:

  1. I'm still a bit confused about that. (Don't tell your niece. Please.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, i was confused too, once, but my kids explained it, as I'm sure your's could too. I bet Owen knows hashtags!

      Delete
  2. I don't really get the hashtag thing. What is the point? Why can't you just type in the words you want? What's the difference between gardening and #gardening?

    ReplyDelete
  3. O brave new world. #Shakespeare # quotes #hashtags

    ReplyDelete