Sunday, March 11, 2012

Into the Void

Yesterday, for a couple of hours, my blog disappeared. When I tried to log in, Blogger said I didn't exist and invited me to start a new blog. I cannot tell you the slow panic. All the photos I have stored here, all the moments I have set down, important to no one else perhaps, but urgently significant to me. I sat tapping buttons and firing off messages to the void for close to two hours. And then, suddenly, it was back. I immediately backed everything up over at WordPress, trying to make peace with the reality that everything can go poof without warning, engulfed in virtual flame.

Google is big brother. I don't think it was a mere accident. Call me paranoid, but I think it was all a ploy to get more of my information. I think they said, We'll show you, because I kept refusing to supply my phone number when I logged into gmail. Now they have it all, they kept asking for more and more pieces of me in the name of solving my "issue." And then, the fact that there is no human you can call, no soul you can petition about the theft. All this to say, back up your blogs, people. There are are no guarantees.


9 comments:

  1. I noticed that. How are you backing up your blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary, I backed it up at WordPress. They have buttons that allow you to import your entire blog. It might also be good to make a copy on a disc or flash drive or something.

      Delete
  2. Weird. That might be why your comment never appeared on MY blog last night. Glad to see you back.

    And your front. ba-dum-bum!

    Sorry ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The other day I was trying to comment on a blog, not this one, and google popped up and said there was some strange activity involving my blog and i needed to do this and this to get back in to my acct. I have spent the last week transfering my photos and links from there to the new blog so i did what they asked and it came back immediately. i'd already given my cell phone before when blogs were disappearing. I'm glad you got your blog back and backed up. check and make sure all your photos moved to your new media place on wordpress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang. I got so scared FOR you. I think you're right, though, about Google being Big Brother and I think I need to back-up too and yet, do I?
    Not yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard the same story from another blogger. I don't know what I would do if it all seemed gone! I hadn't thought the need to back it up...perhaps I should look into this.

    I have had comments that I wrote not show up on blog friends which has annoyed me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes. Thanks for the heads-up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I TOTALLY have a parallel wordpress blog that is private. Every single one of my posts is exported to it in the event of a disappearing act. . . . it was surprisingly easy, didn't you think? I think I did it after you mentioned this happening to Tearful Dishwasher? Was that who had this issue? It terrified me so I backed up!! The thought of that many hours of my life vanishing into thin air is horrendous.

    ReplyDelete