Thursday, January 27, 2011

Snow Day



New York City public schools are closed for only the seventh time since 1970, and where I live the children are out with their sleds, very happy campers. When they were younger, my kids were out there too, cavorting with their friends, while we parents took a moment to catch up with one another and build neighborly connections. I miss those days, but the view from my window this morning infuses the memory with a certain sweetness. Nineteen inches fell, just one inch less than the great Boxing Day blizzard of 2010. But by now, we've had so many intervening snowfalls, New Yorkers are unfazed. Besides, the forecast calls for more snow tomorrow, and Saturday too.


 

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful image! Keep warm, stay safe and enjoy the glorious snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was in NYC for a blizard that shut the city down in 1969. Decided to return to Detroit during my time off. I like your shot. I like the bird's eye view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful photo, the red such a focal point, bright signs of life in a frozen landscape. Quite the winter. You are made of sturdier stuff than I.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was the view from my kitchen window. I zoomed in a bit. The kids started building a fort right after this picture was taken. It grew to be a big one.

    ReplyDelete