Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Letting it be

There was a cardinal grand cross in the heavens, astrologically speaking, on June 26, along with a lunar eclipse. This was supposed to shake things up in our human lives, and I would have to say, it has. But the shifting landscape isn't altogether visible. The sea changes are mostly taking place internally, with many strained family situations now coming to a head.

I want so much to help mend things, but I can't. I imagine I can see what lies down the road if certain actions are not taken, but these actions are not mine to take, so I watch helplessly.

I was talking to a friend at work today about that fact that so many relationships around me seem to be falling apart. Not with my husband and children, thank God—but even there, I am challenged to redefine the way I am in relation to others, specifically my children. We are all being challenged to redefine our relationships. I know I am being cryptic, but I can't speak freely as others will be exposed and more deeply hurt.

Anyway, my friend had an interesting take on my feeling of helplessness. She said, "Perhaps that is the lesson for you. To just let it be. To not rush in and try to make it better. Instead, you may need to just sit with what is, and be at peace with its unfolding."

I was struck by the wisdom in what she said. Or maybe I just craved permission to stop trying so hard. So many people are in pain. There have been so many misunderstandings and miscues. So much righteous indignation and the sense of having been wronged. And I cannot fix any of it. I have to let people fix their own conundrums. I have to let it be.

4 comments:

  1. I was actually thinking about you a few days ago, when so many of my friends seemed to all simultaneously have bad/weird things happen, and I wondered if there could be some kind of astrological explanation.

    I'm sorry so many around you are having a hard time right now. Sitting back and letting things be is so difficult. I don't have any wise words for you, but I do sympathize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ellen, i am also sorry your friends are being challenged right now, but I trust we'll all grow from it, right? i guess that is the whole purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. missed a few posts here,
    promise to read and comment soon..

    ReplyDelete
  4. always happy to see you stop by, deb.

    ReplyDelete