Sunday, November 15, 2009

Social Wise

Last Wednesday, at about four in the afternoon, my daughter sent this text message to me at work. "Oh mom school today was just horrible. Social wise was fine. Can I go out friday night?"

Me: "Why was it horrible?"

My girl: "Because school just sucks. It requires you to tolerate never sleeping and then working and I cannot tolerate that."

She has been sorely sleep deprived. The tenth graders have just been slammed with work this year. Their teachers weren't kidding last year when they said it would get hard. But what makes me worry is that my daughter might be starting not to like school, which until now has been a source of fun and mastery for her. I don't want her to let go of her "good and responsible student" self-image, one that she has held comfortably from kindergarten until now. That was why the phrase "school just sucks" was worrisome.

Then I looked at the first message again. "Social wise was fine."

She's not lost to high school yet.

2 comments:

  1. If she's anything like the teens I know, the 'school sucks' mantra will stick for a while and then go away.... don't worry too much... she's got great grounding from her parents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deborah, teenage girls are so emotional. Were we like that? Who am I kidding, I'm still like that! Hope you guys are well.

    ReplyDelete