Thursday, May 21, 2009

Cooks I Love


My daughter took time out from homework last night to make paninis for everyone. Mmm. Yummy.

Earlier, her dad had made homemade sushi, which was almost finished by the time I got to it, because I was in the bedroom trying to make my son swallow ice chips so he'd stay hydrated. When I came out to the kitchen, there were two lonely pieces sitting on the plate, and everyone was standing around looking hopefully at me. Their faces said, We exercised great effort and restraint to leave these two pieces for you. Do you really want them? I did indeed. They were delicious, too.

My older niece (the graduate) gave my husband the ultimate compliment the night before, when he made spaghetti with tomato sauce and fresh basil. She said, "When I eat your food, I always feel as if I'm getting the gourmet version of a very simple dish." It's true. He is a master of tasty, unfussy, almost effortlessly elegant fare.

My girl just got home from school. I'm off to get the scoop on her day. I have just a small window of maybe half an hour after she arrives home, when she's still plugged in enough to her school day to cheerfully spill details. After that, it's old news. No longer interesting enough to bother sharing. Being there for that half hour window is one of the reasons I used to love working from home.

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet picture!

    BACK IT UP. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ellen, I sure will! But what's the best way? On CDs? Online? What do you suggest?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am still investigating all of the different options. Backing things up online can be kind of expensive, but seems quick and easy. Somehow, though, it makes me a little uncomfortable. What if the company went out of business? Backing things up on cds (or dvds, or thumb drives) is also quick and easy, although those options can fail from time to time.

    I think for now I am going to use cds, and keep looking into a better alternative. I'll let you know what I find out!

    ReplyDelete